Quality of Life
Recreation, Sports & Tourism
Union County is replete with a variety of recreation and sports opportunities, from beautiful natural parks to sports amateur sports complexes. Close proximity to Charlotte also provides Union County residents with the ability to enjoy a variety of professional sprorting events including:
- NFL’s Carolina Panthers
- NBA’s Charlotte Bobcats
- The Wells Fargo Championship (PGA Tour)
- Chiquita Classic (PGA Tour)
- Charlotte Knights (AAA Baseball)
- Charlotte Checkers (AHL Hockey)
- NASCAR events at Charlotte Motor Speedway
- NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race
- Coca-Cola 600
- Bank of America 500
Golf courses are in abundance and range in price and difficulty. Some of the local courses include:
- Rolling Hills Country Club
- Monroe Country Club
- The Divide
- Eagle Chase Golf Course
- Emerald Lake
- Charlotte National
- Old Sycamore
- Charlotte Golf Links
- Stonebridge Country Club
- The Club at Longview – a Jack Nicklaus Signature Course
- Firethorne Country Club
Several amateur sports complexes are located in Union County, drawing in hundreds of visitors who come for family outings or tournaments.
- Carolina Courts is a 44,000 square foot indoor facility that boasts 5 basketball courts (all HS regulation size), that double as 10 volleyball courts. Carolina Courts has been designed with families in mind. We have a parents lounge with comfortable seating and a concession stand.
- Jesse Helms Park Soccer Complex has six (6) full-size “game” soccer fields. A limited amount of fields can be laid out for U-10 through Adult games upon request. Fields are primarily for official game play but there are a limited number of practice sessions which can be scheduled during the week.
- The Extreme Ice Center is a venue for both figure skating traning and amateur hockey leagues, as well as recreational skating for Union County. As a year round FS Training Facility, this ice skating training facility has attracted dedicated coaches and skaters since it opened. The ice center also provides engagement in all levels of hockey, from youth lessons to tournaments and amateur leagues.
Union County is also host to the Queen’s Cup Steeplechase, which features some of the most athletic thoroughbreds competing at speeds nearing 30 miles per hour. The event, designed as both a sporting and social event, occurs annually in the spring. Beyond the excitement of the races, families and friends enjoy some fast-paced mingling and socializing each year. The Queen’s Cup annually solidifies business as well as personal relationships; and keeps both strong by bringing people together year after year.
Union County features many wonderful parks that provide playgrounds, fishing, swimming, camping and much more.
Cane Creek Park is a family oriented, water based recreation facility encompassing 1,050 acres of land surrounding a 350-acre lake. This makes for a naturally scenic environment for a variety of outdoor activities and peaceful relaxation year round. All recreation facilities at Cane Creek Park are centered around the lake, and when you think of water, thoughts turn quickly to fishing. The lake is home to some of the best largemouth bass fishing in the state as well as bluegill, crappie, and catfish. Appropriate North Carolina State Licenses are required. Licenses can be purchased in the Day Use Area at the Operations Center.
A variety of municapal parks include:
- Crooked Creek Park at Indian Trail
- Chestnut Square Park at Indian Trail
- Stallings Municpal Park
- Belk Tonawanda Park
- Marvin-Efird Park
Feature NewsThese local ZIP codes offer best opportunity for housing investment
20 July 2017 - These local ZIP codes offer best opportunity for housing investmentRead More »